Dear Colleagues and Synod Delegates,
There is an important meeting of church leaders both clergy and lay, especially synod delegates, scheduled for the morning of Saturday Nov. 3 from 10:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. at St. Stephen’s, West Vancouver. The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the “White Paper on Diocesan Reorganization and Restructuring.” The White Paper was created in order to stimulate discussion around the possible re-ordering and streamlining of our diocesan structures to free up people and energy for more effective ministry.
A working group, in response to Plan 2018, has made the following recommendations for our discussion:
- Meeting as Diocesan Synod once every two years with a diocesan conference on leadership in mission and ministry in alternate years.
- Reducing the size of Diocesan Council and reducing the frequency of Council meetings
- Rationalizing and reducing the number of diocesan Standing Committees.
- Enabling quicker and more effective decision-making on matters of property and finance by utilizing technology and empowering a small executive group to make recommendations for review and approval by Diocesan Council.
- Providing diocesan services for parish audits and financial review to assist, in particular, smaller congregations in their work of administration.
- Reviewing and revising our governing provisions in our Canons, Constitution and Regulations.
I apologize for the late notice on this forum; the invitation to you was delayed because I have been on sick leave recovering from a car accident.
To help you prepare, see the paper that has been written outlining these suggestions and the rationale behind them. Please do your best to read and reflect on it before we go. RSVP to me by returning this email.
I do hope you can attend. Feel free to invite any other lay people from your congregation who might be interested in such restructuring.
We will have coffee on at 9:30 and we begin at 10:00 Saturday Nov. 3. St. Stephens 885 22 St. West Vancouver.
Yours in Christ,
The Venerable Lynne McNaughton